Understanding the Pros and Cons of Stainless Jewellery26 July 2021
Stainless steel jewellery is quite popular around the world today. Pendant necklaces with stainless steel chains, rings, watches, earrings, bracelets and tie clasps are all frequently made of this durable, attractive steel. There are definite pros and cons relative to selecting jewellery composed of stainless steel, which you should be aware of.
Advantages and Disadvantages of Stainless Steel Jewellery
Common advantages and disadvantages of wearing stainless steel jewellery designs include the following:
1. Stainless steel does not tarnish or discolour, and it is a durable metal. It wears well and lasts for ongoing enjoyment when treated with care.
2. Stainless steel does not cause allergic skin reactions like jewellery made of metal alloys that contain nickel or copper often do. For this reason, hypoallergenic earrings, necklaces, bracelets and rings made of stainless steel are quite popular among people with sensitive skin and allergies.
3. Stainless steel is popular among environmentally conscious jewellery wearers since it is non-toxic and is biodegradable. Especially today, most consumers want to purchase eco-friendly products when possible. When they have the opportunity to select an attractive item or set of jewellery composed of stainless steel, they often do so.
4. Stainless steel is easy to care for and maintains its attractive shine. Many people like jewellery made of this metal because it looks like silver, but is much easier to care for. Of course, silver must be polished often to prevent it from tarnishing. Many times, jewellery lovers start to put on some lovely stainless jewellery before attending a special event, only to find that it is badly tarnished. Without time to polish their favourite jewellery, they must wear a substitute item or set instead.
1. One disadvantage of stainless steel is that thin or delicate chains and designs in jewellery can wear thin when not properly cared for. To ensure that it maintains its beauty and lustre, be sure to store your stainless jewellery in its box in a dry, safe place.
2. Stainless steel rings can dent if dropped or knocked against a hard surface. Although this metal does not dent as easily as silver, wearers of stainless steel jewellery should be aware that denting can occur.
3. It can be difficult for jewellers to size stainless rings since the metal is quite rigid and stiff. You should consider this aspect of stainless steel if you are purchasing a ring for a friend or family member. If possible, get the gift recipient’s ring size before you shop.
4. The rigidity of stainless steel can make it difficult for jewellers to set gemstones in rings, necklaces, earrings and bracelets composed of stainless. If you have a favourite gemstone that you want to be set in an item of metal jewellery, you may want to consider a metal other than stainless steel.
By consulting our experts at Ken Ross Jewellers located in Ashburton, Victoria, you can benefit from excellent advice concerning stainless steel jewellery. Our experienced team will advise you concerning the pros and cons of selecting attractive jewellery pieces and sets made of stainless steel. Our professionals will guide you in choosing the best stainless items of jewellery to ensure that you will enjoy them for the long term.
Optimized by: Netwizard SEO